Friday, April 13, 2018

The Outsiders

Ponyboy can count on his brothers and his friends, but not on much else besides trouble with the Socs, a vicious gang of rich kids who get away with everything, including beating up greasers like Ponyboy. At least he knows what to expect--until the night someone takes things too far.

Written forty-five years ago, S. E. Hinton's classic story of a boy who finds himself on the outskirts of regular society remains as powerful today as it was the day it was written.

Author: S.E. Hinton (Website)
Publisher: Speak
Buy online: Amazon
EBook borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Outsiders took the spotlight when I came across the book back then with this quote: "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold."

I just knew that The Outsiders will have a place in my heart one day and it did. The story takes on a wild, bizarre happenings and I enjoyed that even more as it was told from the perspective of Ponyboy Michael Curtis. Such a pure heart and he is one tough kid. I could say the same when it comes to Johnny Cade. The good times they had together were so precious and I never thought all that can be changed quickly overnight. The turn of events made them value each moment and that is absolutely stunning to imagine.

My heart also goes out to Dallas Winston who had it all planned out for Johnny and Ponyboy. He cares so much for the one person who appreciates and gives him the reason to keep living. That one good reason is Johnny. In my opinion, he may have not believed in himself that much but I have to say that he has bet his everything for that kid, even bet his life for him at all costs. My heart breaks how I had seen him displayed a brave heart to overcome his sufferings. It wasn't the best way but for him, his decision was made right enough. Enough to be with Johnnycake.

I think it is also worth mentioning Sodapop, Darry and Ponyboy's sibling-relationship. It definitely demonstrated a good scenario of how siblings should never treat one another unequally. As if one needs another one to blame for every action in the situation they are in. One middleman who gets sick and tired of hearing the same old arguments and quarreling. I understand that part of being always to be nagged at and called being irresponsible. Thankfully, Sodapop raised his concern among his siblings as he was suffocating and torned between Darry and Ponyboys displaying both their bursting with pride heated arguments, never-getting-along in front him.

In every angle that I find The Outsiders, I just hope that things will be brighter, positive each day. Every cloud has a silver lining. Nothing can stay gold but reading this book made me realize that to be either one of the Greasers or Socs, labeled or not, we are only human just trying to get by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment