Saturday, September 21, 2013

How I Live Now


“Every war has turning points and every person too.”

Fifteen-year-old Daisy is sent from Manhattan to England to visit her aunt and cousins she’s never met: three boys near her age, and their little sister. Her aunt goes away on business soon after Daisy arrives. The next day bombs go off as London is attacked and occupied by an unnamed enemy.

As power fails, and systems fail, the farm becomes more isolated. Despite the war, it’s a kind of Eden, with no adults in charge and no rules, a place where Daisy’s uncanny bond with her cousins grows into something rare and extraordinary. But the war is everywhere, and Daisy and her cousins must lead each other into a world that is unknown in the scariest, most elemental way.

A riveting and astonishing story.

Author: Meg Rosoff (Website, Twitter)
Publisher: Wendy Lamb Books
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Stunning novel! I could not even imagine myself in the world the characters lived in. The chances of me surviving in it is out of the question, because really I would have completely lose my calmness and well maybe just about everything that I am.

What's so good about How I Live Now is, I like the voice of the character. Such different, authentic voice for a 15 year old protagonist. I can't help thinking Daisy's world coming to my world. It's wickedly, cruel world I have no hope of surviving. I love the writing as it sounded a kind of strange, odd and smart writing voice with sense of humor included in.

I may quite and likely to spill more and more spoilers here and there so watch out!!!

Edmond is the one character that I have to mention because, in the end of the whole story, he is the one I could connect to. I understand why he feels the way he felt after everything that happened to his life and the people around him. There are times I forgive but forget is somehow a struggle. I'm always reminded of my past and as Edmond. It doesn't come easy to just block out of what had already happened.

Edmond, in my opinion, felt that he did not deserve to have the second chance to live the life that he has after the war/occupation. Perhaps, he couldn't believe that they all died while he continues on with life as if nothing happened and that made him furious. Unbearable for him to live each passing moment of every day of his life over those who died. Life is unfair.

The acceptance of being able to continue to breathe air into his lungs, while the people's lives are long gone is truly difficult and devastating for him. Edmond couldn't stop thinking about the loss of lives when he could have saved all of them. Somehow, he blamed it all to himself and that everything was his fault. He has the right to feel that way.

As I read too, I really keep thinking whether this book is also in Paranormal genre because the characters seems like they have psychic powers and that I'm missing out something in my entire life! They can thought transference!!! Extremely beyond any of my comprehension!

I particularly like Edmond's last part in the book. That is all, because it tells me how beautiful and fragile life can be. Broken but he deals with it, fighting to live even after the war ended because it is still life. It absolutely made my heart full and I silently have the moment of realization. I just let go. I could no longer fight the tears.

I never have been more grateful that I read How I Live Now slowly and thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment