Saturday, June 15, 2013

Vampire Academy #4: Blood Promise

How far will Rose go to keep her promise? The recent Strigoi attack at St. Vladimir's Academy was the deadliest ever in the school's history, claiming the lives of Moroi students, teachers, and guardians alike. Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them... including Dimitri. He'd rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa – the one she has sworn to protect no matter what – and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago. But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the person she loves most? 

Author: Richelle Mead (Author's Website, VA books official website, Twitter)
Publisher: Razorbill
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's a thick book, lots of scenes had occurred on Rose's journey to look for the man she loved. I took my time to read the book thoroughly, indulging myself in each moment reading Rose's perspective - I want every detail to absorb me away from reality and homework. Finally after reading it, it left me to deal with my current book hangover. Definitely a must read!
"How could I do what I had crossed an ocean to do?"

Many challenges that she sweat it all out and suppress so much effort. The action that took place were gripping, making me feel out of breath and readers of the series would know the sarcasm, never-back-down courageous that she is. She still was making the situation funny which I found it really encouraging readers to be absorb and engross and something that will be uplifting. There were intense scenarios as well and in my opinion, heartfelt, nostalgic she was too.

"But it wasn't real. It was too easy, and if I was learning anything, it was that life wasn't easy."

I'm very impressed with Rose. The journey she had had a whole new perspective and every experience she had in Russia took more new meaning than she let on. I had to always brace myself for what has to come - every turn of a page I always have to keep watch. I realized she had the capability for having to communicate with people well, very well actually. She clicked with some of them though not an instant but amazingly she did a superb job without Lissa there with her considering the language spoken in Russia. She's amazing and I can't wait for more of her other ability that she stores in her. Perhaps she could do every thing, anything. However, I came down to only one conclusion that she is just downright intelligent, always using her brain in the right way.

"No one had ever called me unnatural before, except for the time I put ketchup on a taco."

" “Knowing about Strigoi might enable humans to protect themselves, though.” Why the hell was I playing devil's advocate here?"

From these two quotes that had my heart nearly tore in half and well, generally the book did to me on every chapter anyway. Two quotes below are one of the reasons:

"I hadn't thought much of it at the time, but now, because of this trip and because of Dimitri, I really wished I'd learned Russian."

"I'd had to experiment when I first arrived, and it was nice to have the guidance of someone who, though not a local, knew a lot more about this country than me."

Those two quotes I shared above tells me that it's important to know each other cultures. Living in a country that is multi-ethnic society is already a privilege to me - where I'm currently at. I hadn't had the time to give thoughts about people who have not experience them- it's pretty disturbing to me.

"The universe had a sick sense of humor."


I have so much to talk about on this review. I may go out of point convincing you all to read the book - really to me these characters are real and Rose showed me that she has so much to go through on her own and share her learning experiences as she better developed in this 4th installment of VA novel. I love Rose, her character keeps growing and never stopping to learn new things and her questioning people out of curiosity fueled my admiration towards her character even more. She has that soft heart when it comes to family too. She keeps going up in my list of favorite characters.

"Oh, Rose. You are young. You've barely lived. Everyone thinks their first love is the only one they'll ever have." -Abe

I really liked the idea of Rose wandering in Russia even though she were pretty much roaming aimlessly without any chance of getting anywhere at first. That's why I love traveling. You get lost. Later on you get found. And fortunately, someone came to her rescue, I may say, Sydney.

Nevertheless, Rose meets new people. Sure, these new characters are sweet surprises, each carries something valuable in the context and makes the books adventurous - more and more mystery clues unfolding to us giving answers to readers, who would have asked for answers then, probably sometime ago before reading this 4th book.

"I knew better than most how love could drive us to crazy acts."  

There were predictable moments I'd say but I always had to rely for the book to tell me more whether the questions/predictions running through my head are correct. It drove me nuts and mad. I was hysterically talking to myself and cracking up. All by myself.

Towards the end of the book - I couldn't have been more satisfied and moreover, I absolutely have no clue and I'm utterly stunned by the perfection and witty plot, no regrets of reading the series! I'm coming after for more!

P.S. The only Russian word I know is krasivaya. I went craving for Russian cuisine for a few days like blini Russian pancakes, and since I can't possibly find it elsewhere McDonald pancakes would have to do when I needed it most. It works. Pretending it's Russian version, yep. I did a lot of fist pumps while reading too, I admit. Also, I had experienced a bit of being a 'guardian' to my friend in PE lesson - which I really thought I was imagining I was Rose just for a day. It was all good. The game was to protect my friend from all the rugby balls flying across towards us and the cone should be balance - making it the other side to get a point without dropping it on the ground all together. I was her 'guardian' and yes we survived all the flying rugby balls. It was piece of cake. I'm pretty proud of myself for saving my friend. I held her wrist, dragged her with me and ran. We were a great duo, haha! I'm proud of her too! She trusted me enough to run at the same time handling well with balancing the cone to get us a point!

Songs that I think that will suit Dimitri-Rose relationship situation since the first book all the way through this 4th installment.

Disaster by Jojo
Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis
Give Your Heart A Break by Demi Lovato

Extreme rambling and whatnots in this review. Sorry. Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment