Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Requiem

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has transformed. The nascent rebellion that was underway in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven. Pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels.

As Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain of the Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view. They live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

With lyrical writing, Lauren Oliver seamlessly interweaves the peril that Lena faces with the inner tumult she experiences after the reappearance of her first love, Alex, the boy she thought was dead. Sophisticated and wide-ranging, Requiem brings the Delirium trilogy to a thrilling conclusion.

Author: Lauren Oliver (Website, Twitter)
Publisher: Harper/HarperCollins
Buy online: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | IndieBound
Book borrowed from the national library
(Actual) Rating:  2 of 5 stars

My thoughts before heading to read Requiem.

The book cover steals my attention for a moment before I get on with reading it. To me, it shows there that finally we got the whole picture (face) that obscure half it then. I'm implying that in this final installment, many will be revealed to the readers, getting a clear insight of what to come and hopefully a conclusion that will go perfectly as it will sums up the trilogy. The red background that I think it represents passion, her most desires and dangers or perhaps the most difficult decision she may be facing is right all in the book. I just have to figure it out for myself and dive right in and read. I'm ready for this exciting journey and good ending!

My afterthoughts.

Hana's point of views was the one I enjoyed reading, really. Even I was surprised because I really liked Lena in Pandemonium and suddenly it's not her that I like.
Anyway, I was actually glad about the idea that Hana got to have a part in the book and it came to me as a surprise and at the same time, relief because she was not left out and that she is still not forgotten after everything that happened.

It all went with good paced plot - I liked that all through out the book until it went pretty unstable with Lena's character... Her character development in Pandemonium was so so great, impressive, superb, that I really had to read what happens to her further and where will she be in this chaos. Honestly, I enjoyed reading Delirium and Pandemonium more, so much more. This book was not for me. I was disappointed. I really was hoping something of a genius, and witty ending. This was not the ending I was expecting at all.

I feel sorry for Julian. I'm not a huge fan of love triangles but if it's good and I'm sold - then there's no problem. However, for this one, did Lena actually just use Julian? I mean did she even truly love him or merely forced herself to move on then after all their time together she abandoned him, no longer needed - pushes him away because she already found Alex (?). To me, it went pretty confusing - the love triangle. I thought she said to move forward.... or maybe I'm just Team Julian. I like him better than Alex actually.

Well, everybody's got different opinions. *shrugs* I was almost through finishing the book that I had to practically scanned through couple of last pages - no more of "taking-my-own-time-sweet-time-reading" once I had enough. Enough. No more of this. A sigh of relief. Done. Just really didn't work well for me.

But I have a couple more things to say about the ending. The last page or last chapter, I got something out of it. Something I realized. I was reminded that even if we're free to choose, we can't escape hardship/challenges. Life isn't easy. And if that is the case, well, I guess, it's really up to us whether it's going to be a happy ending or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review Updates!

- to be posted up soon -

none at the moment.

- to be read soon -
none at the moment